The other day I was rushing around getting ready to go to a meeting. I pulled some heels out of my closet and by the time I had arrived downstairs, ready to put them on, I realized I had picked up an errant white sewing thread, hanging tight onto my stockings. The first word into my mind was “Hopeless!” I really can’t go anywhere in my house without dragging little snippets of thread and fabric with me. This made me start to think about how pervasive dressmaking and sewing are in my day-to-day life. So, of course, I had to make a top-ten list…
You know you are a hopeless dressmaker when …
1) you arrive at your destination, only to find that aforementioned sewing thread clinging to your skirt , or you find a straight pin still holding tight to a finished garment.
2) a sale on Gutermann thread makes your heart go a-flutter.
3) you receive a bar of soap in the shape of a dress form in your Christmas stocking!
4) you instinctively check plaid lines and design placement in the clothes of everyone you meet to see if they match.
5) a new issue of Threads Magazine or Vogue Pattern Book Magazine (or Burda Style, etc.) arrives and it becomes your nightly reading until you have gone cover to cover.
6) you look for greeting cards with a sewing and/or fashion theme (sometimes just to keep for yourself!)
7) you can’t wait to study the instruction sheets in new patterns (in my case, new-to-me vintage patterns).
8) one of your favorite cookie cutters is a Little Black Dress.
10) your pets wander into your sewing room asking forlornly for their supper, as you have lost complete track of time.
So then – how do you know you are a hopeful dressmaker?
A friend or acquaintance who doesn’t know that you sew, said to you when last you met, “I want your wardrobe!”
It doesn’t get much better than that! Well . . . in an effort to share a bit of my hopeful hopelessness and have some fun, I’m having a giveaway of duplicates of 1) the dress form soap, 2) the Little Black Dress cookie cutter, and 3) the Little Black Dress birthday card.
To be entered to win these three items, please leave a comment by Saturday, February 14th; I will draw the winner on February 15th
Happy Valentine’s Day to each and every one of you!